My Nana - A poem by Liam Murphy
When I was a little boy,
off to Nana’s I loved to go.
I’d head off down to
number 9, or down to Uncle Joe’s.
Days on end I’d spend down
there, oh the smell of apple tart!
Even to this day the smell
of fresh bread lifts my heart.
My Nana, Peg, a lovely
lady, I was her pride and joy.
She’d bring me to the
shops with her and spoil this little boy.
We’d head to ‘Lanes’ or ‘Brouders’,
places now a memory.
Some’ Liquorice Allsorts’ or
‘Mini Rolls’ she’d always buy for me!
I remember my Grandad Moss
as a very quiet man.
His shed a wondrous
treasure throve for inquisitive little hands.
We’d watch the snooker in
black and white, fun for the both of us.
Explaining points scored
in shades of grey really was no fuss.
I moved down to my Nana’s
the night my Grandad passed away.
To keep her company for a
night or two, I didn’t think that I’d stay.
I lived with her for two
more years, the best times of my young life.
To come and go as I pleased,
with no trouble or no strife.
When time came to go to
college, the world opened up for me.
She loved to hear how I
was doing and how things were in Tralee.
She got to meet my future
wife, had so much time for her namesake.
And every week just for
me, a fresh loaf of bread she’d bake!
I was with her a few short
hours before she sadly passed away.
She was with me only weeks
before, on my graduation day.
That’s a memory I’ll
always cherish, I’ve some lovely photos of her too.
My Nana with her little
man, her beaming smile lit up the room!
I wish she got to see our
boys, wouldn’t she have loved them?
Four little lads for her
to spoil, more ‘Mini Rolls’ and mayhem!
I know she watches over
them, every night when they’re asleep.
Along with Grandad and
Uncle Joe, in our hearts they will always keep.
I still see Nana and
Grandad when at the church In Abbeyfeale.
Down there in the last
pew, when I bend down to kneel.
I feel them smiling at me,
telling me that
I’m doing fine!
I’m older now with a few grey
hairs, and the odd faint wrinkle line!
The years may come and go
but we never forget our own.
We are older now with busy
lives, watching our children grow.
My Nana has a special
place, in my heart she’ll always stay.
She will always be my
Nana, beyond my dying day!
05/09/2018

Comments
Post a Comment