A wander back in time:
I awaken to a familiar sound, one from the depths of my youth.
But how can I hear those old bells, that old convent is gone, that’s the truth!
Hang on just a minute, where am I? Where is this place at all?
What’s with the decor? Dated 80’s style.
Last night, did I take a fall?
I go to the window and to my shock and surprise, a sight I know before me.
Isn’t that the Fire Station as it used to be, when I was a kid in the 80’s?
What’s going on? My mind is racing! I can’t make any sense of these things.
One heck of a dream maybe? It feels so real, let’s see what a wander may bring.
I go down stairs and walk through the shop, “Well, God arose and appeared to many!”
“Fine for some” says he. I smile but I’m rattled, that voice really is uncanny.
I know that face and the smell of this chemists, how am I at Johnny Harnett’s?
I bolt through the door, out into the street, how did I get myself into this fine mess?
I wonder what would happen if I crossed over the road and wandered down that old street.
I wonder if it’s as I remember, what old loved characters would I meet?
The terrace beckons, yet I’ll wait. I’m so happy to see McEnery’s door open.
And over there is Wards old pub, even The Palace looks so inviting!
The sound of bikes revving down the street, I guess the Failte is back in its heyday!
I check my pockets for some change, a trip to Danaghers or O’Donnells later today?
Or a bag of sweets from Anne Lyons’, or Sean Bruders? Are those places still the same?
I see old shops, pubs and faces long gone, for many of which I don’t have a name!
But my mind keeps wandering to that old street, to Nana’s - I’d give all just to go back.
So, I head up the Terrace - a familiar voice up ahead, stops me dead in my tracks.
There a ball being kicked between a young boy and his Uncle, I watch, almost in tears.
The man doesn’t see me but the little boy stops, and smiles and back to the day he holds dear.
A call goes out, “Dinner’s ready” and the game ends, oh how I’ve missed her voice!
I walk up the street past her door, you can only guess how the food smelled so nice!
“Ah, Liam, it’s yourself!”, she says as she sees me, “Love you, my Cratur”, she says as I pass by.
I awake with a jolt, back in my own bed, “I love you too”, says I with a tear in my eye!
LM Dec. 2022


Comments
Post a Comment