The Old Man:
Standing in the isle one day, time was passing ever so slow!
My eyes traced along the meat counter, little dull displays of red.
Shopping is such a chore, I’d rather be at home instead!
My attention was captured by a basket - silver, bare and light.
A banana and a sandwich there, my concentration lost its fight.
A man of many, many moons ordered three slices of ham.
My mind began to wander, what’s the story with this old man?
Do you have a hand to hold when the nights are dark and cold?
Do you have someone who asks ‘Will you still love me when I’m old?’
Do you set just one place with a solitary fork and knife?
Have you ever experienced the love of a wonderful wife?
I jolted back to reality - awoken by the cleavers slam.
And almost lost my good ankle to a woman with her pram!
A little voice beside her called out for one and all to hear:
‘Grandad, please hurry on let’s go get some ice cream!’
The old man turned and smiled, a beaming smile that lit the place.
‘Yes my dear, I’m almost done’ he said and gently touched her face.
Off they went hand in hand, a wonderful sight to see.
As I went back to the shopping and the piped music monotony!
By Liam Murphy
19th of
October, 2020

Comments
Post a Comment