Oh, Ballybunion!
It’s a fabulous day, oh
what shall we do?
Time for a spin and hit
the road with my crew!
A full tank of Diesel and
no destination,
A family day out beats any
Playstation!
Out the gate we go left,
somewhere different today.
Destination unknown, but
far, far away!
“Where are we going,
Daddy? – the cry from our son.
“Wait and see lads!”, our
journey’s barely begun!
We head for Tralee but I yearn to go North.
To a place up the county
that’s close to my heart!
For I want to go somewhere
that meant so much,
to me as a child and my
heart it will touch!
Ballybunion for me is a place that I love.
Fond memories from
childhood, times oft dreamt of.
My Grandad and I used to
go there by bus.
No one else to bug us,
just the two of us.
I used to love the park overlooking the Castle.
Playing in the swings
without ever a hassle.
To see my own boys playing
in that sacred place,
brings a joyful smile to
this weather-beaten face.
The old amusements where a ‘few bob’ was spent.
Haven’t changed much, but
now it’s Euro and Cents.
Adam loves his ‘Tipping
Point’ – always wants a few goes.
It brings me back to my
childhood to hear the bells toll!
There’s a dune near the Castle, with seating cut out.
A special place with my
Grandad, I can still feel him about.
The view over Ladies Beach
is a place deep in my heart.
And I love to share with
my boys this work of art!
Some good times were had in the local bars and clubs.
The Atlantic with it’s 3
floors, sandy pints were a must!
I wonder if JD’s bar is
still in existence?
The trek to the tent, now
that was some distance!!
Well Bally B, I still love you, don’t ever you change.
I promise to return and
will never make strange.
For you fill me with
memories from throughout my life.
Which I love to share with
my boys and my wife!
Liam Murphy – 28/03/18

Comments
Post a Comment